Having worked for Chesapeake Bay Candle for close to 5 years now, I was proud that we’ve formed a partnership with the Susan G Komen organization. This is a cause that is very dear to me, as both my mother and mother-in-law are survivors.
On 11/16, we had the pleasure of having Mona Locke, National Operations Director Washington DC and Judy Macon, two time breast cancer survivor give us a little “Breast Cancer 101” learning session and also tell us more about the Susan G Komen organization.
You’re probably thinking why at work? What does breast cancer have to do with my job? Funny thing, this is a disease which affects every single one of us in some way. We may have a mother, mother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, friend, cousin, aunt, co-worker who has been affected. So why not take the time to learn a little more or refresh your knowledge of breast cancer.
There were 3 facts which caught my attention immediately:
- “1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime”
- “Someone dies of breast cancer every 68 seconds”
- “This year alone – 40,000 people will die from the disease in the United States.”
Thoughts of what I can do to prevent this or how I may help someone else prevent breast cancer were running thru my mind. Unfortunately, with this disease there is not one specific thing that can cause breast cancer. Some of us can do the genetic testing to see if we are gene carriers but for the majority of those diagnosed, there is no hereditary link—simply no explanation.
Now we all know this isn’t comforting to hear – so there are things that we can do to help reduce our risk (these are just a few steps that can be taken) but these steps aren’t fool proof and one should always consult their physician for advice.
- Maintain a normal body weight
- Eat a heart healthy Mediterranean diet
- Limit alcohol intake to drinking less than 7 drinks a week (one per day or less)
- Vitamin D supplement and getting 15 minutes a day of sun light
- Exercise 3-5 hours per week
As a mother of two girls, I’ve committed myself to doing the above things. If I can take any opportunity to help reduce my risk of breast cancer, then I’m doing this for me, my girls, husband, family and friends. This fight to end breast cancer won’t be over until a cure is found. This is where the Susan G Komen organization and Chesapeake Bay Candle come in.
Susan G Komen organization and its affiliates raise money each year. “Of the money raised, 25% is sent back to Susan G Komen headquarters to fund breast cancer research while the remaining 75% stays in the communities for treatments, screenings, and education.” It was comforting to hear that the money donated to this organization stays with this organization!
Chesapeake Bay Candle has created a beautiful line of candles and donated $100,000 to help in this fight against breast cancer, and I’m truly proud to work for a company who sees the importance in this fight.
Everyone should take the opportunity to educate themselves about breast cancer. Everyone should make sure the women in their lives are following these 3 steps to screen for breast cancer, early detection is key.
1. Mammograms performed once a year at age 40+, unless otherwise instructed by your physician
2. Clinical breast exam performed by your physician
3. Breast self awareness
My hope for this article is to help inform as many people as possible, both women and men, some basic facts and just my thoughts on breast cancer. If it helps just one woman be more aware of breast cancer, get themselves examined then I’ve also helped contribute to this fight against breast cancer.
Senior Merchandising Executive